Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tapping into Creativity


If only there was a tap we could turn on for creativity when we really needed it! Well this morning I tried a different way of tapping into the right-side of my brain… a NIA Class. It was so much fun. NIA is a holistic fitness practice that allows you to discover new, creative ways of moving. As an ex-ballet dancer and teacher of fourteen years, I have been searching over the years for something that isn’t aerobics or pilates. NIA combines free dance, with yoga and a bit of martial arts movement and healing philosophy thrown in for good measure. What was most fun was the laughter, the sense of community and self-expression in a totally non-threatening environment – all to really groovy uplifting world music. I could just let myself go! It literally is the ‘joy of movement’..you know, the kind of dancing you do in your own lounge room while you’re vacuuming. Julia Cameron in her book about creativity The Sound of Paper believes we should do morning pages/journal; morning walks and takes ourselves out on dates – I’d like to add dancing with ourselves to that list!! Remember how unrestrained we felt as kids, well that’s how I felt for an hour this morning.
(Photo courtesy of NIA Australia website).

No comments:

Post a Comment